All you ever wanted to know about setting up a permanent number pool.
Setting up a Permanent Number Pool
The Number Manager allows for one or more "number pools," each of which can be later employed by an event segment to control numbers for that segment. There are a variety of options available for a number pool:
The name of the permanent number pool must be unique in the club. For annual reserved numbers, it's helpful to include the year as part of the name so over time you can tell the pools apart. The range of available numbers can be specified, as can an acceptable number of leading zeros (for example, 01 and 1 are considered different numbers when one leading zero is allowed).
NOTE: The registration form has to load each number in the drop-down list, so as a best practice, we recommend limiting your number pools to 0 - 999 for best results.
The following uniqueness settings are currently allowed:
- Unique in event: each number must be unique in the event, without regard to segment, class, or group assignments
- Unique in event+segment: numbers are unique on a per-segment basis (for example, Segment A and Segment B may each have an assignment for car # 33, but 33 may not show up twice in Segment A)
- Unique in event+segment+group: numbers are unique on a per-segment AND per-group basi (for example, two cars in Segment A and Group 1 may not both have the same number)
- Unique in event+segment+class: numbers are unique on a per-segment AND per-class basis (for example, two cars in Segment A and Class SM may not both have the same number)
- Unique in event+segment+class+group: numbers are unique on a per-segment, per-class, AND per-group basis (for example, two cars in Segment A, Group 1, and Class SM may not both have the same number)
Use 'N Reserve
The Use 'N Reserve feature supports number claiming to reduce data entry required from the organizer. The first use of an available number in a pool gives ownership of that number to the registrant for the life of the pool. This provides an easy way of doing number signups early in the season. The Reserve Expiry setting allows reserved numbers unused in the current event to be made available to registrants for the current event only.
Organizers can override this at any time by editing or deleting a number assignment making managing any exceptions or erroneous selections a low-effort task.
Number Reserve Events
A popular technique is to run an event specifically for claiming numbers. This allows your organization to optionally charge for numbers. In all cases, a number pool with Use 'N Reserve turned on with the number pool enabled in a Segment and an assigner on the registration form to collect the number will create an entry in your pool for future events.
Limitations with Public Pools
The Use 'N Reserve feature only functions for events held by the organization who owns the pool. If Organization B subscribes to a number pool owned by Organization A, participants who register with Organization B will be given their number if they already have one but new numbers will not be saved. Subscribing organizations are effectively read-only such that Organization A, in this example, controls the numbers.