NEW FB - Do I still need to create/use a segment?
The answer is: most likely, yes!
Segments allow you to break out information and entry lists for part of an event. It is helpful to think of segments in terms of your reporting needs. Here are some examples:
- You have a 2-day event and attendees can participate in either day (or both) -- you would have a segment for Day 1 and a segment for Day 2.
- You have a social event that includes a tour and a dinner -- you would have 1 segment for the Tour and another for the Dinner.
- You have a multi-part event that includes racing and an enduro -- you would have a segment for the Race and a segment for the Enduro.
- You have an event that includes the purchase of a membership if the attendee is not already a member -- you would have 1 segment for the Event and a segment for Membership.
For each segment, you can establish the parameters for participation -- you can specify what classes, groups, and numbers are allowed. e.g. If you want attendee's names to show up on reports and the public attendee list, you will want to use a segment as part of your Entry Product.
When a segment is assigned to a package, it will allow you to collect entry information, like:
- The vehicle year, make & model
- Class, PAX/modifier, group, vehicle number
You almost always will want to include a segment on our registration form. If you do not use one, you likely will have data missing in your reports and entry lists.
Where do I not need to use a segment?
For basic items such as meals or merchandise, you won't need to use a segment. For these types of items, you can go ahead and use a Basic Product instead: